Thursday, April 24, 2014

It's Me.



"Hey, it's me.  Hope you had a good day, I'm thinking of you and I hope you're as excited as I am that it's almost the weekend.  Call me when you get a chance."

He sounded far away in his voicemail; far like, East Coast far.   But the time zones and the thousands of miles between them faded away quickly as a smile took over every inch of her body.  It was one of those smiles, one that starts from somewhere deep in your heart and finds its way to your mouth and eventually to your eyes, where it rests with satisfaction and unexpected happiness.  In that moment, she could care less that he was thinking of her or that he wanted her to call him.  "It's me" he said and after that she heard nothing else.

He had addressed her with such a feeling of familiarity and she couldn't remember the last time someone had said that and not been her mother, or grandmother or childhood best friend.  It was as if they had known each other forever, even though it had only been a few months.  It felt comfortable, even though she was still uncomfortable with the whole thing.  It somehow felt right, even though she didn't exactly know what that meant.

"It's me" he said, and she lost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment